Thursday, June 12, 2008

Assignment #2: Organize Coupons

There are probably 100 different ways to organize your coupons, and yes, you really can do it any way you'd like. But, I felt like I couldn't start couponing until I had the perfect organization system. That's the freak in me, though. If you've read my family blog you know that I like to have things completely organized and I am a perfectionist. If it can't be done perfectly then I don't want to do it. Needless to say, the lack of perfection was a really good excuse to keep putting it off. What I really wanted was someone to tell me exactly how to do it, at least for the time being. There were so many options, but I actually found the variety to be overwhelming.

Then, I read this blog about how to organize your coupons without clipping them. You see, I hated having a thousand squares of paper floating around my kitchen, purse, pockets, etc. Drove me batty. So I thought this would work really well for me. And, it turns out it worked for more reasons than just one. Not only do I not have a bunch of icky pieces of paper everywhere, but I don't have to clip anything until I decide that I actually want to use that coupon. Don't worry, there are lists that tell you which coupons to use and where they're located, etc. It will all make more sense. Just pay attention to how I organize my coupons. Like I said, you are welcome to organize them anyway you want, but I think this is the easiest way for beginners.

This is how I organize my coupons, and I do recommend that you do it this way too (at least in the beginning). As previously mentioned, I don't clip anything. I simply take the inserts from the paper, and file them in a folder with that Sunday's date at the top.

I have a hanging file folder for each month of the year. Then, within that hanging file there are manila folders dated for each Sunday. It is into those manila folders that I place the weekly coupon inserts. I labeled about 6 months ahead of time just for convenience purposes. Here are a few photos. You get the idea, right?



Then, each week I use these awesome lists that tell you what items are on sale at which stores, which coupons to use with the sale, and what the total price is. They'll even tell you if it is an awesome deal or just so-so. I print that list, decide what I want to buy, and then clip the coupon for it. I use a binder clip and secure my coupons to that store's shopping list. Then I know exactly what to get at each store. You can buy these lists at The Grocery Game, or you can get them for free at PinchingYourPennies. I really like how they are listed at The Grocery Game, but since you have to pay for them, I would highly consider trying the free lists.

You can get a one month subscription to The Grocery Game for $1. But, don't make the same mistake I did. I started my free subscription before I had a collection of coupons so I couldn't take full advantage of all the savings! If you want to try it, collect at least a month's worth of coupon inserts before signing up.

So, everyone go get a filing system to organize your coupons. If you really feel that this system won't work for you, then get something that will!

Edited to add: I found this filing container at Wal-Mart. It is by Sterilite. I couldn't find it online at walmart.com, but I found it online at another site. If you are interested, here is the link. If nothing else, you can at least see a picture of what it looks like with the lid.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Where did you get that filing thing at? I really like it cause it doesn't look too big.

Tyler said...

I found it at Wal-mart in the section with all the Rubbermaid/Sterilite organizing containers and laundry baskets. I'll edit my post to include a link.