Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Assignment #4: Finding the Deals

Once you have your coupons organized and you understand how to read coupon lingo, you are ready to start searching through different shopping lists and clipping coupons!

As I've mentioned before, you can use sites such as The Grocery Game, but it costs money. So, I'll be referencing Pinching Your Pennies because it is free and all of you can use it. However, if you get discouraged but still want to try couponing, I recommend signing up for the one month trial of The Grocery Game, simply because I think it is actually more user-friendly and easier for newbies like all of us. Then, once you are "good" at couponing, you can use the free sites. But, I don't want to discourage you from using the free sites from the very beginning... just giving some suggestions, that's all!

  1. Everyone please visit www.pinchingyourpennies.com. Yes, right now. Open another browser window so you can read this blog and PYP at the same time.
  2. Click on "Screaming Deals By State" at the top of the site.
  3. Scroll down to find the message board for your state. Since I live in Utah, I'll be using the Utah Forum.
  4. Once you are at your state's forum, you should see different threads (or sub-forums) for all sorts of topics. There is one for newbies (I suggest you read it). There are also a bunch of sub-forums for each of the different stores. For example, if you click on the sub-forum for that says, "Albertsons deals 7/9-7/15" you will see a link that says, "For a printable shopping list click here." If you click that link, you will find a shopping list. The list will tell you what the item is, the sale price, which coupons to use & where to find them, and the final price. The stars on the far left side tell you how good of a deal it is; the more stars-- the better the deal.
I print the list and then highlight the items I want to buy and clip the corresponding coupons. Then, I secure the coupons to the list with a binder clip. Since I shop at a couple of stores, I usually end up with 3 or 4 lists. I take the list and coupons into the store. While I am shopping I reference that list to make sure the sale price on the shelf matches the sale price on the list (helps me verify that I have the correct product). I also check to make sure I have the right quantity (for example, 2/$5).

After I check out I clip the receipt to the list in case I need the receipt to submit any rebates (at RiteAid and Walgreen's).

Here is a photo of what I take to the store... I use The Grocery Game, so my lists will look different than the list on PYP, however the information is the same. Also, you'll notice that I crossed through a few items. I couldn't find the coupons. I looked everywhere, but either they listed the wrong coupon reference, or I lost the coupon! I crossed them off my list so I wouldn't accidentally buy them. Also, you can see how I wrote "x2" and "x6" next to a few items. That is because I had multiple coupons and/or needed to buy more than one to get the sale price. It's just my way of making sure I get it all right BEFORE I get to the check out stand.

** The Grocery Game only offers lists for Albertson's, Walgreen's, RiteAid, and Smith's (for the Utah County area, I'm not sure about other areas). They don't offer a list for Macey's, but I love Macey's. So, I use The Grocery Game for RiteAid, Walgreen's and Albertson's. I use PYP for Macey's.

**Macey's doesn't seem to have as great of deals, but they're so close to my house AND super customer-service oriented, so I like to shop there. Alberstson's prices are higher, but they seem to have great deals for stocking up. And RiteAid and Walgreen's have lots of good deals, too... especially on FREE stuff!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should teach an organization class. You're like the queen of organizing. I need help. I'm always scattered and all over the place.